Tuesday 28 December 2010

So we're now in the 12 Days of Christmas and either playing with our new toys or lining up next year's shopping list!

My trusty 400D well be celebrating it's 3rd birthday in 2011, but as it was a refurbished model from Canon's eBay outlet, it could actually be older. I have already taken it around the clock and half way round again, so depending on how Canon actually refurbish their cameras, I could soon be hitting the average life cycle of my DSLR. All I need to do is convince my other half of the need to buy a new DSLR. But which one?

The 7D has great appeal, but long term aspirations point to a 5D Mk II. In the meantime, the 60D could be the way to go.

As for lenses, this is where it gets tricky. I have the range 17-250mm covered mainly by two zooms, the excellent EF 17-40mm f/4L and the EF-S 55-250mm f/4-5.6 IS. The latter produces some excellent images, but the AF is prone to hunting even when using the centre AF point and for what I have needed these last couple of months, just a touch too slow. So am I looking for a faster zoom? No.

The latest events I have photographed have required low light photography, so while I could up the ISO, it is a step I am reluctant to take. Anything over ISO 400 on the 400D exhibits excessive grain in my opinion and results from the 55-250 are less than pleasing. The 70-200mm f/2.8 may be the obvious replacement with the faster aperture, but I feel I would be better served by the 100mm f/2.8L Macro USM, or indeed, the non-L version. Why? Looking at the exif info from the images I took at the theatre, I was able to analyse the settings I used, and more importantly, the focal lengths I used. To get the best composition, 100mm would allow me to get a full adult head to toe standing on stage from my unobstructed vantage point. The f/2.8 aperture would allow me to use a faster shutter speed to avoid camera shake and make sure the action on stage is frozen - at 100mm, the 55-250mm gives me f/5.0, almost two stops slower.

Also on my shopping list are a few accessories for the 580 EX II, the EF 24-105mm f/4L and a book on on-camera flash by Neil van Niekerk.

Have a great New Year and don't forget yo ucan follow me on Flickr

References:



No comments: